How to Apply?
- Minimum GPA 3.0 (4 Scale)
- TOEFL/ IELTS (For all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents). Learn more about testing requirements.
- Graduate admission tests (GRE, etc.) are not required.
At the Program Level
Interested candidates are encouraged to contact the director of the program area of interest to discuss the program before applying. Contact information is available on each program page as well as on Faculty page. In addition, applicants may need to appear for on-campus interview. Campus visit is strongly encouraged. We believe it is important to see the program first-hand and to meet current students and faculty.
Scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for M.F.A. in Theatre: Arts Leaderships. You can include references/recommedations email addresses in your online application.
Graduate School Testing Requirements
Graduate admission tests (GRE, etc.) are not required.
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (250-500 words) is required along with your latest Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
Letter of Interest Guidelines:
- Why do you want to undertake graduate work at Virginia Tech?
- Why do you qualify to pursue a graduate degree at Virginia Tech?
- If you have a concentration or area of interest in mind, briefly outline your interests in this area.
- What graduate faculty members are you interested in studying with and why?
- What do you expect to contribute as a student and subsequently as a member of the profession?
- Personal philosophy of theatre and career goals.
Evidence of English Proficiency
The Graduate School requires that all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents demonstrate English proficiency to ensure they enter the university with sufficient English skills necessary to function in a graduate program. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test score is the most common way international applicants demonstrate English proficiency. We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859. See this page if you qualify for a English language proficiency test waiver.
Applying as an International Student
- Blacksburg Campus: Prospective residential on-campus international students might be required to submit immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application. Please consult with Graduate Student Immigration Services.
Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee. All application fees are non-refundable.
Application Fee Waivers
Veterans and other applicants are eligible for waivers of the application fee. This form includes the eligibility requirements.
To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.
Admission deadline: Jan. 15 for consideration for funding
Blacksburg Campus Application Type:
- Please select an Application Type: First Time Graduate Study or Readmission
- Please select a Program: Theatre Arts
- Please select a Degree Type: M.F.A.
- Please select a Campus: Blacksburg (Main Campus)
- Please select a Term: Fall
Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions:
Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (Mail Code 0325)
155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
If applicable, send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Each student accepted into the program receives a full tuition scholarship and out-of-state fee waiver. Each student accepted also receives an assistantship of approximately $18,700 for the first academic year, with increasing amounts in the second and third years. To maintain assistantship support, students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester.
The Assistantship Work:
Students in the program will be assigned to work in specific production shops - the scene shop, the costume shop, or the management office. Students in the Arts Leadership program may be assigned to work at the Moss Arts Center (typically in the second year of the program)
Find out what loans are available as a graduate student and other opportunities.
The Graduate School sends an official offer of admission to applicants upon the recommendation of the department faculty. Admitted applicants who are offered graduate assistantships at Virginia Tech are not required to make a decision to commit to the assistantship offer until April 15. See the assistantships page for more details.