Elizabeth (Betsy) Lantz
Elizabeth Lantz is Senior Instructor of Flute in the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech. She is a regular soloist and chamber musician throughout Virginia, the Mid-Atlantic region, and the United States, and has also toured in South America, England and Trinidad. She performs regularly for the National Flute Association National Conventions, and in 2015 appeared on the convention’s Keynote Recital program, performing her newly commissioned composition by Valerie Coleman, Wish Sonatine for flute and piano. Lantz performed and taught in residency at the University of Trinidad and Tobago in 2016, and in recent years, was a featured International guest artist at the Festival y Concurso Internacional de flauta traversa de Sopó, Colombia and the Segundo Festival Internacional de Flauta Traversa en el Suroccidente Colombiano in Cauca, Colombia.
In addition to her active performing career, Lantz is a dedicated teacher who adjudicates and serves as a clinician for regional and national workshops and competitions. She has served as the invited guest clinician for the MTNA State Competitions, SAGWA Summer Flute Institute, as well as the Collegiate Soloist Competition Coordinator for the Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention and National Flute Convention. Ms. Lantz served as Program Chair for the 2018 Mid-Atlantic Flute Convention and regularly presents at state and regional universities. This year’s highlights include performances of a newly commissioned piece Sonder for flute, saxophone and electronics by Charles Nichols at the 2022 FNMC Festival at the University of Arizona, and the U.S. Navy Band Saxophone Symposium in Washington, D.C.
Lantz holds degrees from the University of Southern California (M.M.) and the University of Arizona (B.M.). Her principal teachers have included Ann Diener-Zentner, Jim Walker, Tadeu Coelho, Jean-Louis Kashy, Julius Baker, and Michel Debost.r, Jim Walker, Tadeu Coelho, Jean-Louis Kashy, Julius Baker, and Michel Debost.
Lantz is a Yamaha Performing Artist and performs on a Yamaha 877 model handmade flute.
- Flute Performance
- Flute Pedagogy
- Artist Management
- Bachelor of Music in Flute Performance, University of Arizona
- Master of Music in Flute Performance, University of Southern California
School of Performing Arts, Music, Virginia Tech
- Visiting Artist Coordinator, School of Performing Arts, Virginia Tech
- Programming and Scheduling Administrator, Committee Chair
- Hearts and Flowers Committee
- Board Member, NRV Friends of the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra, SMILES Coordinator (Children’s Educational Outreach Concert Series).
- NIME International Convention on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, Chamber Music Performance. who Are we Are here (2016) for flute/bass flute, clarinet/bass clarinet, and computer by B. Sutherland. David Perry, clarinet/bass clarinet, Ben Sutherland, computer. Moss Arts Center, Virginia Tech, (Blacksburg, Virginia). June 2018.
- Soloist, Concerto Performance: Concerto for Flute and Wind Ensemble, Charles Rochester Young with the University of Cauca and Escuela de Musica Sol Naciente Wind Ensemble. (Popayán, Colombia). Recital works: Cape Cod Suite, Kristen Stoner, Fantasia in A Minor, G.F. Telemann. Taller Internacional Suroccidente Colombiano Festival, Paraninfo, Universidad de Cauca. October 2017.
- Soloist & Chamber Music Recital | teaching residency, The University of Trinidad and Tobago (Rep of Trinidad and Tobago). Featured recital in a program including the following works: Sochinski Saloon Music, Piazzolla Historia del Tango for flute and piano, Doppler Andante et Rondo, Op. 25 for flute, violin and piano, Bolling Suite for Flute and Piano, M. del Aguila, Seduccion trio for flute, clarinet and piano. March 2016.
- Soloist & Chamber Music Recital, The University of Cuenca (Cuenca, Ecuador). Featured recital in a program including the following works: Bukvic Derelicts of Time, computer accompanist, Flute: C.P.E. Bach Sonata for Flute and Continuo in G Major, Hoover, Reflections, Sochinski Saloon Music, Still Miniatures. June 2013.
- Soloist: Recital works: Danza de La Mariposa, Valerie Coleman, Sonata in G Minor for Flute and Harpsichord (BWV 1020), J.S. Bach, and Trio for Flute, Oboe and Piano, Madeline Dring. Festival y Concurso Internacional de flauta traversa de Sopó, Columbia, (Sopó, Colombia). July 2017.
National and Regional Performances
- Invited Guest Artist Recital: (World Premieres*) *Ribbons and Drones for flute, soprano saxophone, piano and electronics, Eric Lyon, Sonata No. 1 for Flute and Piano, P. Gaubert, Sonata in G Minor, BWV 1020, for flute and keyboard, C.P.E. Bach, Dash, J. Higdon, *Elegy, Kent Holliday, Metropolitan State University, (Denver, Colorado). March 4, 2020.
- National Convention Performance: North American Saxophone Alliance 2020 Biennial Conference. Ribbons and Drones for flute, soprano saxophone, piano and electronics, Eric Lyon, Elegy, Kent Holliday, Dash, J. Higdon. Arizona State University, (Tempe, Arizona). March 8, 2020.
- Flute New Music Consortium New Music Festival: (World Premiere) Flutes and Ladders for 2 flutes, piano and electronics. Tabatha Easley, flute, Sarah Rushing, piano, Eric Lyon, computer. Suny Stony Brook University, New York. January 18, 2020.
- National Convention Performances. National Flute Association Annual Convention. Latin American Gems: Tango - Por Una Cabeza, Gardel | R. Masters, Tabatha Easley, flute | Kevin Chance, piano. Flute Lover’s Luncheon honoring Valerie Coleman: UMOJA Flute Quartet with Valerie Coleman, Tabatha Easley, Cynthia Rugulo. Hyatt Regency, (Orlando, Florida). August 2018.
- Keynote Recital: National Convention (Commissioned Work): National Flute Association Annual Convention: Wish, Sonatine for Flute and Piano, Valerie Coleman. Leone Buyse, Alexa Still, Paula Robison, Nathalie Joachim, flutes | Dr. Richard Masters, piano, Wardman Park Marriott Hotel, (Washington, D.C). August 2015.
Masterclasses, Presentations & Adjudication (selected)
- Invited Guest Artist Masterclass: Metropolitan State University (Denver, Colorado). March 4, 2020.
- UVA Flute Forum (Charlottesville, Virginia) April 7, 2019.
- Adjudicator, MTNA (Music Teacher’s National Association) Woodwinds Competitions, Liberty University, (Lynchburg, Virginia.) October 2018.
- Adjudicator, Teaching Residency, Taller Internacional Suroccidente Colombiano Festival, Paraninfo, Universidad de Cauca (Popayán, Colombia). October 2017.
- Adjudicator, Teaching Residency, Festival y Concurso Internacional de flauta traversa de Sopó, Columbia, (Sopó, Colombia). July 2017.
- Flutes and Ladders for 2 flutes, piano and electronics, Eric Lyon (Virginia Tech). 2019-20. World Premiere: Flute New Music Consortium Festival, Stonybrook, N.Y. January 18, 2020.
- Ribbons and Drones for flute, soprano saxophone, piano and electronics, Eric Lyon (Virginia Tech). 2019-20. World Premiere: Metropolitan State University, Denver and North American Saxophone Alliance National Conference, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, March 6, 2020.
- Amazonia, Valerie Coleman. Flute New Music Consortium. 2020
- Flute Matrix with Limited Fixation, Eric Lyon (Virginia Tech). 2018
- Wide Duo, Eric Lyon (Virginia Tech). 2015
- Wish, Sonatine for Flute and Piano, Valerie Coleman (Imani Winds). 2015
- The message is the medium, Elizabeth Hoffman (NYU). 2015
- Midsummer Spirits, Dr. James Sochinski (Virginia Tech). 2014
- MUS 1005: Online Class, Music Theory Fundamentals for Non-Music Majors
- MUS 2244: Class Applied Flute (education majors)
- MUS 2574, & 4574: Individual Applied Flute
- MUS 3314: Flute Choir & Chamber Music