Virginia Tech String Project
To provide high quality and inclusive string music education for our community; and to prepare Virginia Tech's undergraduate music students for success in their futures as music educators.
The award-winning Virginia Tech String Project, founded in 2007, is the signature community enrichment program for the music program at Virginia Tech. Our program is a member of the National String Project Consortium, founded in 1998, to address a national string teacher shortage through a plan that establishes teacher-training programs at universities throughout the country. Master string teachers work with Virginia Tech’s undergraduate music students to teach all classes. We fill a significant gap in the public-school system curriculum by providing beginning lessons in strings to students in the 3rd and 4th grades as well as providing a space for older students’ musical growth through multiple string orchestras for those with prior experience.
- Fall 2023 registration open now for 3rd graders +
- Youth Orchestra Audition Information: Auditions are open to students entering their 4th + year of study. Auditions will take place on the first day of class, Sept. 5, 6-7pm in room 243 at Squires Student Center. Students should prepare 2 octave D, G, and C major scales and expect sight-reading.
- Instrument rental plans are available through Greg Bump at Rocket Music.
- 2023-24 VTSP Handbook
- 2023-24 VTSP VT Location Calendar
- Keep up to date with the latest news and stories from the Virginia Tech String Project by following our Facebook page!
- Summer 2024 with performance at Steppin' Out
- Two camps, beginners and experienced
- Camp open to second graders through high school seniors
- $15 covers the cost of instrument rental for a brand new string player to use at exploration camp
- $60 provides a full scholarship for a brand new string player to experience learning the string instrument of their choice
- $155 provides a full tuition scholarship for an advancing string player to participate in our summer intensive